Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Complete Set


I'm torn. If a book intrigues me, I love to find out it's a series. I don't mind waiting for each book to come out. That was part of the fun in the Harry Potter series. The anticipation for the next one. Re-reading each one before the next came out. Speculating about the plot. And how much fun we had getting the midnight release. I'll never be able to read those books again for the first time.
Sometimes, however, reading a complete series can be too much. The reader has to slog through recaps so that new readers aren't lost if they start with book two or three.
I recently read a series where the author's voice was amazing and sucked me in, but I didn't like the story enough to enough. I still read them all (I guess we'd have to count that as a success for the author), but I found myself criticizing rather than enjoying. By the end the list of things that didn't work for me was long, and yet I wanted to finish.
And then there are the series that don't finish. It happens a lot in publishing. An author's numbers aren't good enough, so they drop her, or her editor leaves and the new editor doesn't want to keep her. With self-pubbing, the possibility exists that the author might finish the series on her own, but on the other hand, one has to move on as well.
If you're the type of reader who likes to wait until a series is complete to read it, you're in luck. My Time of Transition series is now done. The three books, THE WISH LIST, AS YOU WISH, and WISHFUL THINKING, are all available now. Spread the word. I could use your help in keeping this world alive.
--Gabi
Books I'm reading now:
Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment